The Bible speaks of a place of judgment known as hell. This concept is difficult for those who believe the Scriptures and those who do not. Some reject the idea of a loving God sending anyone to such a place. Others fear they or those they love could end up there. Still, anyone who follows Jesus must grapple with God’s judgment and hell, which Jesus Himself spoke about (Matthew 5:22; Luke 12:5; etc.) The concept of punishment after death, however, is hardly unique to the New Testament. It is rooted in the Old Testament, especially in prophecy about God’s coming wrath.
Robert Walter, who serves on our staff in Brooklyn, New York, is here to discuss this topic. He helps us understand not only what hell is but how Jesus’ sacrifice gives all people the opportunity to avoid hell and enjoy eternal life. This episode addresses:
- The nature of hell, Hades, and Sheol
- What the Hebrew Scriptures say about hell
- Jewish understandings of hell in Jesus’ time
- Whether hell is eternal
- Degrees of punishment in hell
- Reconciling God’s goodness and love with the existence of hell